Where is this from?
cheekycharlie
2004-03-03 22:00:59 UTC
Hi
I have a set of stamps but I am not sure from which country. One of the
stamps' denomination is 30 centow.
The inscription reads " Poczta Osiedli Polskich " and underneath " ITALII ".
The stamps are printed by I.P.S Off. Carte Valori - Roma

Cn anyone tell me anything about these stamps, especially where they are
from as I know they are not from Italy or Poland.
Thanks in advance
Michael

---
Outgoing mail should be certified Virus Free.
Jeffry L. Johnson
2004-03-04 23:23:46 UTC
Post by cheekycharlie
The inscription reads " Poczta Osiedli Polskich " and underneath " ITALII ".
The stamps are printed by I.P.S Off. Carte Valori - Roma
The Michel catalog has photographs of some of these stamps under
"Polen--Post in Ausland: Ausgaben für die polnischen Lager in
Deutschland und Italien". "Es gibt sogenannte Lagerpostmarken, die ihr
Dasein privaten Initiativen verdanken. Nachstehend bilden wir einige
davon ab, wie auch die Ausgaben des 2. Armeekorps; eine Katalogisierung
ist im allgemeinen Europa-Katalog nicht möglich:" [photographs].

The stamps are not cataloged.

Try an Internet search on the inscription you listed. You will find
some pictured.
To reply remove "void."
TC
2004-03-05 04:39:21 UTC
Tracy Barber
2004-03-05 14:38:18 UTC
Post by TC
They are 1946 issues of the Polish Resettlement Corps for use
in DP Camps in Barletta, Italy. Possible Polish repatriates
were housed in two DP camps at Barletta and Trani that were
run by the Polish 2nd Corps.
"POCZTA OSIEDLI POLSKICH W ITALII"
THESE STAMPS WERE PRINTED BY "I.P.S.OFF. CARTE VALORI - ROMA"
FOR USE BY THE MEMBERS OF POLISH RESETTLEMENT CORPS IN ITALY.
THERE IS A DIFFERENCE OF OPINION WHETHER THE ABOVE STAMPS
WERE PROPERLY AUTHORISED BY THE ALLIED COMMISSION IN ITALY.
Note: Similar camps in Bavaria etc. issued similar stamps.
FI #1-9 Mint
http://stamps-pl.com/image/24891.jpg
FI #3 used misperf - 50 cent (centow)
http://stamps-pl.com/image/24901.jpg
FI #3 mint misperf - 50 cent (centow)
http://znaczki-pl.com/image/24261.jpg
FI # 1-5 on cover - 15, 30, 50, 60, 80 cent (centow)
http://briefmarken-pl.com/image/28133.jpg
http://stamps-pl.com/image/23632.jpg
FI # 6-9 on cover - 1, 3, 5. and 10 lira (Lirow)
http://znaczki-pl.com/image/22465.jpg
FI #10A 25 + 100 Lira used on cover
http://stamps-pl.com/image/31445.jpg
FI #10A Mint IMPERF
http://stamps-pl.com/image/32145.jpg
FI #10B Mint PERF
http://stamps-pl.com/image/32144.jpg
FI #10P Mint (#1-5 Opt +.25 Lire) semi-postals
http://stamps-pl.com/image/32149.jpg
There's also a set of these with black overprints. I don't have them
handy to scan, but I do have the set.

It seems that these stamps did get around quite a bit.

Tracy Barber